21 Aug 2016

Quiz 20 - 10 questions on the Hammer.- Answer

1. Dave Scott and Jim Irwin were carried to the Lunar surface in July 1971 on Apollo 15’s lunar module- Falcon. On the lunar surface Scott carried out and video taped an experiment to confirm the experiments conducted by a famous scientist. This experiment could only be conducted on the moon because of moons special property. The hypothesis of which famous scientist was confirmed by Dave Scott?

Ans:  Scott dropped a feather and a hammer in the Moon’s airlessness,the feather and the hammer landed simultaneously Confirming Galileo’s hypothesis that falling objects travel at equal speeds irrespective of their weights.
Scott conducting the experiment during the Apollo 15 moon landing

2. As per legend, what originated during the Tailteann funeral games (athletic competitions held in honor of a recently deceased person) held in Ireland around 2000 BC, when the Celtic hero Cu Chulainn gripped a chariot wheel by its axle, whirled it around his head and threw it farther than did any other individual?

Ans: The sport of Hammer throw. Wheel hurling was later replaced by throwing a boulder attached to the end of a wooden handle and in the modern day game the boulder is replaced by a heavy metal ball and the handle with a flexible wire.

3. Mjollnir the Magic hammer of this god never failed him. It was forged by dwarfs and  he used it as a weapon to crash down on the heads of giants and as an instrument to hallow people and things.  He threw the hammer with the aid of iron gloves and it always returned back to him like a boomerang. Which mythological god?

Ans: Thor.  Norse god of thunder.  Thunder was supposed to be the sound of the rolling of his chariot. Thursday is named for Thor.

4. Two of the three are  hammer (malleus) and anvil (incus) , which is the third?

Ans: Stirrup (stapes). These are the three bones in the middle ear which help transmit sound. Vibrations of the eardrum move the hammer. The motion of the hammer moves the anvil, which in turn moves the stirrup. The stirrup is the smallest bone in the human body.


5.In the early 1800's to use what, one had to follow the instructions “cut round the top near the outer edge with a chisel and hammer.” written on it ?

Ans: Canned food. Invented by Peter Durand for the British navy,  the cans were made of solid iron and usually weighed more than the food inside them.Can openers were invented only after 1860, a very cumbersome one by Ezra Warner and in 1870 the modern can opener was invented by William Lyman and  included a cutting wheel to roll around the rim.


One of the early 'Roasted Veal' cans made by John Gamble & company with opening instructions. 

6. In Japan the seven gods of good fortune are traditionally thought to bring good luck, wealth, and a long life. One of the seven is Daikoku, a mixed Shinto-Buddhist god of wealth and agriculture, with a rice bag and wooden hammer. What is special about the hammer?

Ans:  Simple- It is a wish granting hammer. Other gods are Ebisu, who carries a lucky sea bream( a red snapper ) ;Bishamonten god of good luck, dressed in armor ;Benzaiten, goddess of water, music, and wealth, who plays a lute; Hotei, a fat-bellied Chinese Zen monk who brings good luck; Fukurokuju, who grants longevity; and Jurojin, a god of long life, usually accompanied by a deer.

7. What was invented or created by Italian harpsichord maker Bartolomeo Cristofori in 1698 when he experimented with a “harpsichord with hammers”?

Ans: Piano.
The 1720 Cristofori piano in the Metropolitan Museum in New York

8.In 1917 Anatoly Lunacharsky held a competition to create a symbol or an emblem. The winning designer was Yevgeny Ivanovich Kamzolkin. The symbol or emblem is still widely used today. Which Symbol ?

Ans: Hammer and the Sickle.

9.   This song was written by Pete Seeger and Lee Hays in 1949 in support of the United States Progressive Party. The Song was not very successful until it was recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary in 1962 and numerous versions of the song have since been made by many artists notably Johnny Cash, Aretha Franklin, Trini Lopez,  Brian Johnson (AC/DC), Richard Barone and Al Jardine (for the ONE Campaign) etc, etc...
The song went on to become a Freedom Song of the American Civil Rights movement and Wikileaks chose the song as its "Wikileaks song".
Which Song ?

Ans: "If I Had a Hammer (The Hammer Song)" . Lyrics at the end of this quiz, 

Raghupati Raghav rendition by Peter Seeger in 1963 Kolkata

10. What word ( describing an animation terminology) should appear in the blanked out space ?

Ans: Hammerspace. (... yes the answer was in the question)


Lyrics of the Hammer Song (Question 9)

If I had a hammer I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening all over this land
I'd hammer out danger, I'd hammer out warning
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

If I had a bell I'd ring it in the morning
I'd ring it in the evening all over this land
I'd ring our danger, I'd ring out warning
I'd ring out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning
I'd sing it in the evening all over this land
I'd sing out danger, I'd sing out warning
I'd sing out love between my sisters and my brothers
All over this land

When I've got a hammer, and I've got a bell
And I've got a song to sing all over this land
It's a hammer of justice, it's a bell of freedom
It's a song about love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

No comments:

Post a Comment